VGM – position of form – a tip

New home Forums Visitor Generated Markers Troubleshooting VGM – position of form – a tip

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jchris
    Participant

Hello,
    I have read the posts about this that I found here without finding what I looked for. So I ask:

Use case:
    I am creating a map with points of interest for a small region. I use different categories and keep them all in one map.

I want my users (visitors) to explore the map and find info by filtering and clicking on the markers but I ALSO want them to be inspired by scrolling the list below the map. It will be a long list.

I want visitors to be able to contribute and my problem is that the form is at the bottom of a long long list.

The posts I have read seem to indicate that I can have the form on a separate page from the map. That would however remove the option of positioning the marker directly on the map – as the map isn’t shown.
    I would like a possibility to show the map with the form directly under it.

A TIP – during the time I wrote this I had an idea that solves the problem for me. It is a workaround but if there is no other option it works fine, if the map uses the filter option:

1. Create a category with an instructive name, e g “Suggest”.
    2. Keep that category empty.

The result being that the page shows an empty map and a form directly under it.

Caveats: Placing the category in a good place in the sort order. (Last?) Can be done with naming. (“z-SUGGEST”)
    I show the filter on a long line, and not in a collumn as the default is. Looks much better. Used css but it should really be a setting. (suggestion)

OK. Is there a better way to solve this?

/chris

jchris
    Participant

Some more experimenting regarding sort order.

-Suggest sorts first
    “Suggestsorts last (However not shown correctly – see image)

/chris

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Perry

Hi Chris

Thank you for getting in touch and thank you for your suggestions.

Another possibility I can see is that you have two pages with the same map on and use CSS to hide the listing on one of the pages.

By the way, you can control category sort order using the “Priority” field and then changing “Order category filter items by” in Maps -> Settings -> Maps.

Does that help?

Kind regards
    – Perry

jchris
    Participant

Hello,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about the css trick but if I would go that way, doesn’t the list get rendered, albeit not shown?

The priority solution seem perfect. I missed that one. Thank you.

Best!

/chri

Perry

Hi Chris

Yes, the list would still be loaded but not actually displayed.

If you’re looking to block loading completely to save overheads, we can provide you with a JavaScript snippet to block that from loading on a specific page, we’d just ask that you get your pages set up so that we can do that, if you’re interested in going down that route.

Does that help?

Kind regards
    – Perry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.