tracking user location

New home Forums Gold Add-on General queries tracking user location

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nyhc99

Is it possible to track the user’s location in real time with a pin on the map to indicate their location? Assuming they’re using a mobile browser?

I know there’s some kind of user location app for android, but from what I’ve read, and I could be wrong, it seems that with HTML5 and javascript you have the ability to do this without getting an app involved.

SupportTeam

Hi there,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

Unfortunately our current plugin doesn’t allow for tracking in real time, however I think we can implement this feature if you want.

Thank you for your time in this.

Best regards,
    Jarek

nyhc99

I honestly think a lot of people, myself included, would find that to be a really useful feature. I would say that in most situations when you’re looking at a map on your phone, it’s helpful to see where you are on that map. It would make it way easier to find what you’re looking for if you could see your own position moving as a pin on the map.

Anyway thank you for your response and for your consideration of my idea.

SupportTeam

Hi there,

Thank you for your time and pointing this out. We’ll try to implement this feature as soon as possible. Please note that we’re finishing our work on v7 Beta release with many new features.

Kind regards

kafishertx

I think I am in need of the same function – when a user opens my site from a browser on a mobile phone, the map on my site will ‘know’ where they are, and enable them to add a marker.
    1 – is this the same functionality referenced above?
    2 – will it be included in near future?
    3 – if not, is there a viable workaround that also works on iOS?
    Thanks!

SupportTeam

Hi @kafishertx,

Actually there is option for showing user location. Please open your map and click Advanced Settings and enable “Show User’s Location?” option. This will show marker of user’s location.
    If you want to allow users adding markers please install this plugin: https://www.wpgmaps.com/visitor-generated-markers-add-on/

Kind regards

kafishertx

With the VGM add-on, can the user himself see his location on the map? So he can add a marker where he is currently standing?

SupportTeam

Show users location is included in WP Google Maps Pro plugin. If you are having this plugin installed then users should see their location. Please note that user will see popup window and has to agreed to tracking location.

With VGM you can click on this location and add new marker there.

Kind regards

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.