Replicating current Fusion Tables functionality

New home Forums Pro Add-on Pre-sale questions Replicating current Fusion Tables functionality

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mgreis 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

mgreis

Hi,

I’m trying to determine if I can replicate the current functionality I have using a Fusion Tables maps from my WP-based site. I’ve looked through the documentation, but I can’t really tell from that.

This is the map I want to replicate. The specific features I’m interested in are:

• adding information (fields) associated with the item in the info box as in Fusion tables
    • including custom HTML to the infobox text
    • Updating the data (fields) of items from within the plugin (as I would do in fusion tables
    • Alternately, would the import & scheduling features of the PRO version allow the field data to be updated in Google sheets and refreshed regularly?

If you click on one of the entries on the map listed above, you’ll see what I’m trying to do. The street address, system size, operational since & installer fields are all fields (columns) in my fusion table.

An additional capability I would like to have is to allow the user to take some action while looking at the info box, making use of the information associated with that item. That could be a mailto action, or a call to a form, or something else. The specific example for this map would be that some of the markers would have a “solar ambassador” link that would communicate that the user would like to talk with the person whose system is being viewed.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Michael

Perry

Hi Michael

Thank you for getting in touch and thanks for your interest in our software!

We actually support Fusion Tables integration, however, if you’re looking to move away from that then the answers to your questions are as follows:

> adding information (fields) associated with the item in the info box as in Fusion tables

You can use the description field, and any combination of custom fields you might need to present this.

> including custom HTML to the infobox text

The marker description field supports HTML

> Updating the data (fields) of items from within the plugin (as I would do in fusion tables

You can do this through the map edit page, or alternatively we support a number of formats for import, we also support scheduled imports.

> Alternately, would the import & scheduling features of the PRO version allow the field data to be updated in Google sheets and refreshed regularly?

Yes, that’s exactly how this feature works.

> If you click on one of the entries on the map listed above, you’ll see what I’m trying to do. The street address, system size, operational since & installer fields are all fields (columns) in my fusion table.

You could add these to your spreadsheet as custom fields, or include that in the description field. Your CSV needs to match this format: https://www.wpgmaps.com/demo/marker-importer-demo/

> An additional capability I would like to have is to allow the user to take some action while looking at the info box, making use of the information associated with that item. That could be a mailto action, or a call to a form, or something else. The specific example for this map would be that some of the markers would have a “solar ambassador” link that would communicate that the user would like to talk with the person whose system is being viewed.

You can also achieve all this with custom fields and description.

I hope that helps?

Kind regards
    – Perry

mgreis

Hi Perry,

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t get an e-mail notification that you had replied (I’m pretty sure I checked that box when I entered he question…), so I am just circling back now. I am trying to get ahead of Google planned Fusion Tables shutdown this December.

Can you expand on the difference between putting text/HTML in the description field and the use of custom fields?

If I look at the sample CSV file on your Marker Importer Demo page, I see the description field. When I look at the info box that opens up for a marker, I see

• The Title field from the CSV file
    • The marker’s geographic location, rendered as Lat/Long from the “address” field in the CSV
    • A live “Get Directions” link

In Fusion Tables, I have fields with data I want to display. The data includes both address components (Street Address, Town, Zip) as well as other data (size of the PV array, installer, owner, etc.). My fusion table includes a compound address that Fusion Tables uses for geocoding.

Questions:

• Is a “custom field” simply an additional field in the CSV file? If so, how do I then get those fields displayed in the Infobox?
    • Is there a way to replicate the Fusion tables feature that allows placeholders to be filled with data columns? (see below for example code)
    • Can a geocoded address be provided to the plug-in as a location? If not, how would I render that into lat/long for the map?

This is how Fusion tables allows the display of field data in the infobox:

Size (kW): <b>{Nameplate Capacity (kW)}</b><br>
    Operational since: <b>{Commercial Operation Date †}</b><br>
    Installer: {Installer}<br>

On a separate note, there is a notation at the bottom of your purchase page “If you are a non profit organization, please contact us”. My only currently planned use of this capability is for a non-profit, so I am interested in whatever might be available.

Thanks!

Perry

Hi Michael

The description field can be used to add text for display, and to search on. You can only perform a text search on the description field, no other kind of search is supported.

Custom fields, on the other hand, can be used filtered on in a number of different ways. We provide text search on custom fields, but also an aggregate dropdown (which will gather all values from all markers for the field and put them into a dropdown) and checkboxes that work in the same fashion.

Due to the massive variation in address formats around the world, we only support a single address field. Compound addresses are not supported at the time of writing. You could use custom fields to imitate this, however.

Custom fields are displayed in infowindows. You can import custom fields from CSV by prefixing the heading name with custom_field_ and then the name of your custom field. If the field does not exist, a new one will be created.

There is no native support for placeholders, we suggest using custom fields instead, however you could come up with your own JavaScript solution if you wish. We provide the event infowindowopen.wpgmza which you can bind to to make any changes to the infowindow.

You can provide either a street address or coordinates as the address.

Regarding non-profit organisations, can you tell us a little bit more about your organisation?

Kind regards
    – Perry

mgreis

Thanks, Perry.

You can provide either a street address or coordinates as the address.

Perfect. So the geocoding from addresses to coordinates takes place under the covers (more or less as it does in Fusion Tables when you upload a table or change the data)?

Custom fields are displayed in infowindows.

How is the display of custom fields in the infowindow controlled? Can you specify which custom fields appear? Is there an order, or formatting codes for them?

At this point, I’m attempting to ascertain whether the top-level capabilities support easily replicating the basic functionality I currently have. If so, I would get a PRO license and migrate the fusion tables map immediately. I can then take time over the next month or two – with a license and access to support – to dig in on the more advanced features I would like to add.

Regarding non-profit organisations, can you tell us a little bit more about your organisation?

Founded in 2006, Green Needham Collaborative is a volunteer organization dedicated to securing a better future through local action. We engage in concrete projects to create a more sustainable and economically healthy community — one which is committed to reducing carbon emissions and using resources wisely. As we build on our successes, we promote the development of new social norms which will drive this transformation to a sustainable community. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.

The map in question highights the success of our 2014 Solarize Needham program and the subsequent growth in solar PV installations in our community.

We are about to begin another round with the Solarize Plus Needham program. This program will promote solar PV, Air Source Heat Pumps and Electric Vehicles. The capabilities I want to add to the map will support our strategy of leveraging the 450 homeowners who already have solar in Needham. We want to make it easy for potential solar adopters to connect with friends and neighbors who already have solar to help them make the same decision.

Perry

Hi there

You need to enable geocoding when you run your import, but yes, the CSV importer can take care of that.

In the current version, all custom fields are displayed in the infowindows. If you need control over this, Version 8 allows you to choose which fields will and won’t appear. You are welcomed to a beta copy if you that helps. There are no formatting codes.

We provide support to all our users – it’s not necessary to make a purchase to receive support 🙂

I’ll forward the details of your NPO to the relevant team and get back to you on that as soon as possible, we should be able to update you on that in the course of the day.

We will update you on that as soon as possible, please bear with me.

Kind regards
    – Perry

Perry

Hi there

Could we please ask you to open a ticket at https://wpgmaps.com/contact-us quoting the URL to this thread as a reference?

Kind regards
    – Perry

mgreis

Thanks, Perry! I have opened the ticket as requested.

I will take you up on the offer to try the Beta for version 8. Selecting which custom fields display is what I would want in the initial replacement for my fusion tables map. I can always fall back to the current fusion tables map for the next several months if there is any problem.

Would I order and install the PRO version of 7 before installing the beta? Or would I install the beta for now, then order & install the production version of 8?

Perry

HI there

Could you please open a ticket quoting the URL to this thread as a reference so we can discuss this matter in confidence?

Kind regards
    – Perry

mgreis
    This reply has been marked as private.

mgreis

Hi Perry,

I’ve installed PRO V7 following the instructions I received. I’ve made some progress replicating my map, but it’s been slow – it’s feeling like one step forward, one step back. If I can get this done, I’m certainly willing to share what I’ve learned to try to help others.

In the meantime, I need to again ask for assistance. I’ll include here only the most time-sensitive problem because I can’t do any further testing without solving it. (I’ve found forum entries related to some of the others – like customizing the infowindow display, adding categories and correctly loading custom fields….I can put my questions there rather than in this thread if that’s more helpful.)

CSV Import does not geocode addresses into markers

This one is especially frustrating because it worked the first few times I loaded the file. I’ll explain in detail as that might help with troubleshooting.

I have been using this syntax in the address field:
    384 Webster St., Needham, MA, 02494

After several loads where the markers were successfully geocoded, my next load resulted in the error
    “This API project is not authorized to use this API”

I have a valid API key, and I would see in Google Cloud console that it had been called. I went back and followed the instructions you provide to enable the Google Maps platform. That authorized a different key I already had, so I entered that key into the Google Maps API Key field on the Settings -> Advanced screen.

Next load, the authorization error disappeared. However, now the imported markers were not showing up on the map. The address field is present and populated, but no marker is generated.

If I edit one of the markers, the Address/GPS field is populated correctly from my import file, e.g.;

384 Webster St., Needham, MA, 02494

If I then click into the field, I get a popup beneath it with an address and a little “Powered by Google” notation. (I’ll attach a screengrab as a file.) If I accept that address and then save the marker, the marker now correctly appears on my map.

So the google maps API is accessible and working. But why isn’t it recognizing and geocoding the addresses when my CSV file is uploaded? (I am selecting that option.)

To be sure, the address field as repopulated by selecting and saving it has more information than the uploaded field, but that’s never been a problem when I’ve geocoded those addresses in fusion tables. Here are the two versions:

• 384 Webster St, Needham, MA, 02494
    • 384 Webster St, Needham, Needham Heights, MA 02494, USA

I’m attaching my test CSV file in case that’s helpful. The test map I’m working on is live here.

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  mgreis. Reason: small corrections to syntax and formatting
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  mgreis. Reason: small corrections to syntax and formatting; found the CSV marker download option
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

mgreis

I just found the option to download all my markers as a CSV file. When I did so, I found the lat & long fields populated with the street number in the lat field and a zero in the long field.

I remembered that I hadn’t included the lat & long fields in my import file. I thought they would be created by the import process and filled by the geocoding. The fields were clearly being created, but they were not being filled by geocoding. So I added lat & long fields to the CSV file and filled them with zeros. Success! The uploaded locations showed up as properly geocoded markers.

Oddly, one of my custom fields (uniquenon) is now being populated with the latitude value. I have no clue why that is happening. I’ll leave that one open with you….

Thanks!

Perry

Hi Michael

Can you please attach the updated CSV so we can attempt to run the import at our end?

Kind regards
    – Perry

mgreis

Updated CSV attached.

This is my test CSV with a small number of records. The full file has ~450 records.

Attachments:

mgreis

Hi Perry,

I’ve created a new map and CSV load file. This one is a few steps closer to what I’m trying to accomplish. I didn’t want to change the original one you’ve been looking at.

A few observations:

1. With a larger number of custom fields, I do look forward to testing the V8 beta that will allow maps to specify which custom fields are displayed in the Info Window. I do notice that the Info Window does not display custom fields if the field is blank.
    2. Notice that the latitude value is now showing up in the last name field. Could this have something to do with the field order in the CSV? Going left to right, I have some custom fields defined before some of the standard/required fields.
    3. One of my custom fields now has a custom-built HTML string. This is my workaround for not being able to use field values as variables in the Info Window, as I do in Fusion Tables. I use a formula within the spreadsheet to build a custom string that varies with and incorporates values within each row of data. I save the values in the CSV file. You’ll see it as a “contact” link or text within 3 or 4 of the 10 data points.

I created a couple of new forum entries (one is a reply to an existing forum) with other questions I have.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.