Q: my existing Google map and layers

New home Forums Gold Add-on Pre-sale questions Q: my existing Google map and layers

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  supportccspglobal 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

gregor

Hi, I’ve created my google map with layers and will have around 2000 locations on this map (in Google maps and NOT in this plugin). I’m wondering if I can use your plugin to embed this map on my WP site with some added features like filtering layers, list of all location …. Is this possible. And if it is, can I use the map I have or do I have to type in all the locations again in your plugin? … I’m testing your free plugin and can’t see a way to do it…

I’ve attached my screenshot of how it looks now with embeded google maps code ….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Perry

Hi Gregor

Thank you for getting in touch.

It’s not possible to use our filtering and marker listing features with your Google data, however, you could export your data from your Google map, import it into WP Google Maps and then make use of our filtering and listing features from there.

If you’re open to trying that and would like any help moving your data then we can absolutely help you with that.

Does that help?

Kind regards
    – Perry

I am interested to know if Gregor followed your recommendation and if it worked. I am at the beginning of a project and wanting to know similar.

How many rows of data would I be able to import into WP Google Maps? I will have one big map of US, Alaska and Puerto Rico. How would I import locations, CSV?

I would like to apply adjustable radius around location types and have the viewer be able to turn the layers on/off. Cam I import shape files and have those layers able to be turned on/off.

When the user opens the map it would center on geolocation and then the viewer would look up addresses

Scott

Perry

Hi Scott

Thank you for getting in touch and thank you for your interest in our software!

You can import an unlimited amount of data into WP Google Maps. We support KML, JSON, CSV and GPX data, you can see examples of the supported formats here https://www.wpgmaps.com/demo/marker-importer-demo/

We don’t support shapefile directly however we do have some development tools for conversion which we’d be glad to run any shapefiles through to convert them into a format our plugin does natively support.

We don’t support layers, however you could use our category system to achieve the same thing. Our store locator feature supports a search radius.

We also support geolocation, showing the users location, panning to the users location, and pre-filling the address search field with the users location.

Does that help?

Kind regards
    – Perry

That does, thank you. I was checking out the categories feature. I see you can use a drop down menu and select one from the list. Could it be a drop down box with a list that you could check a box to turn on and off multiple layers? If not I would list them separately and then create grouped choices.

I was thinking for my app that the heatmap feature would be better than store locator as that feature draws a heatmap radius around the location.

I want the locations in my categories marked with heat map radius so when they look up an address they will see the proximity to an address in my categories.

Do you y’all have a feature to convert addresses to lat and lon of would I need to do that on my own?

Perry

Hi Scott

We don’t support a dropdown checkbox list out of the box however it’s definitely possible.

In addition, we don’t support categorised heatmap layers.

We’ve had similar requests in the past, what we could actually do is write you an adaptor of sorts,

How would you feel about adding your locations as markers, by address in the map edit page? That way converting addresses to coordinates would be taken care of for you.

What we could then do, if you’re potentially open to putting in a customisation request, is write an external plugin that would convert your marker data to heatmap data in real time for display on the front end.

That way you’d get the best of both – you would be able to manage your locations through markers on the back end, including categorisation, but you’d be able to present that data as heatmaps on the front end. This way we could also present toggleable layers by using categorised markers, which would also be displayed as heatmaps on the front end.

Would you be open to that?

Kind regards
    – Perry

I am currently installing and will begin testing with your plugin.

Another question. we discussed adding addresses into categories, categories function like layers that can be turned on/off, My question is, when the viewer turns off categories or (in essence) uses that feature in the visible map, does that add lookups that count in google? Or only when an actual search for an address happens?

Just making sure I have all my bases covered.

Perry

Hi Scott

Filtering and categorising markers (or heatmaps through an adaptor) is done purely by our plugins code and requires no interaction with the Maps API. There are no costs associated with this.

The only things that would generate API usage would be map loads (but not any subsequent panning or zooming) and searching addresses.

Just to let you know, we’ll be adding support for heatmaps in OpenLayers in the next couple of months, which could make that a viable alternative to Google for you.

I hope that helps?

Kind regards
    – Perry

This reply has been marked as private.

Perry

Hi supportccspglobal

That would be great, thank you.

Please can you open a customisation request at https://www.wpgmaps.com/customization-requests/ , you’ll be put through to myself. You can attach any documents there.

We look forward to receiving your request!

Kind regards
    – Perry

This reply has been marked as private.

Perry

Hi Scott,

Thank you, we’ll respond shortly.

Kind regards
    – Perry

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.