Performance Problems, Over 4000 Markers

New home Forums Gold Add-on Performance Problems, Over 4000 Markers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    zoltanedgar
    Participant

Hello,

We have a problem with the performance of our map, slow loading, slow response to dragging the map, page freezes while markers are loading, sometimes it is barely usable. There are around 4400 markers, but as I understand that shouldn’t be a problem.
    We are using the Google Maps engine, also tried the Open Layers engine, same result. Installed Acato’s cache plugin, only a slight improvement.
    Do you have any suggestions, what should we check/try?

Thank you,
    Edgar

Dylan

Hi Edgar,

Thank you for getting in touch, we do appreciate your time on this one.

Unfortunately, the performance of the data request and map engine does depend on both the browser and the server, and each site will be slightly different. Acato’s WP Rest Cache solution will improve the speed at which data is returned back to the frontend, however, it will not affect the placement speed or the interaction of the map as this would depend on the client viewing the site.

With that said, we do have a few options which may help in improving the overall performance of the system on the frontend. Some of these options are experimental but may help to reduce the initial load on the site substantially.

Would you be open to sharing a link to your site with me? This can be done via a ‘Private Reply’ if preferred.

I would then be able to run a few profiling tools on my side to determine where the system is running into issues, allowing me to make better recommendations in terms of improving performance.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

zoltanedgar
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Dylan

Hi Edgar,

Thank you for sharing the link with me, this was a tremendous help.

During my tests, I found the primary issue here is the handling of all markers, including those not visible, this causes the client to become encumbered when attempting to pan and zoom the map view.

We recently released an experimental feature that I believe may work well with the setup you have on your site. Please could I ask you to navigate to Maps -> Edit -> Advanced Settings -> And enable the option labelled “Only load markers within viewport (beta)” near the bottom of this section.

This should prevent the map from loading markers outside of its current viewport. This should improve the overall map event handling as the map will only need to track the markers within the viewport currently.

When a user pans to a new area or performs a search on the map, the system should request the markers for the area within the viewport. This will offload some of the processing to the server-side which may improve the overall experience on the frontend of the site.

Please let me know if this helps?

zoltanedgar
    Participant

Hi Dylan,

What can I say, we love these experimental features 😀 Yes, now the performance cannot be compared to what it was before, it’s fast, snappy, it’s ok.
    The only “side effect” is that the markers are no longer grouped (clustered) if you zoom out. Can this be helped?

Thank you for the fast and useful support!

Have a great day,
    Edgar

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.