Near vacinity not working after updates

New home Forums Visitor Generated Markers Troubleshooting Near vacinity not working after updates

This topic contains 27 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  poolec 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

poolec

Hi

The near vacinity funcion isn’t working following the recent updates – also the gdpr box keeps reverting to tickd (shouldn’t it remember it’s state?)

Regards

Chris

Login access to dev07.pinneypoole.net still valid.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I noticed that the Marker Clustering option was disabled for your map and after enabling it, the near vacinity markers work correctly.

Regarding the GDPR box, it resets for each marker that is added.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Dylan

poolec

Hi Dylan,

Marker Clustering was Off because I didn’t want to use it – also it seems to stops the Marker Info being displayed correctly showing it in the top left of the map rather than the actual position (but that might be to do with the settings) either way it isn’t what I wanted.

I do want to use the ‘Near-Vicinity Marker’ function which has been working fine up till now – see Near-Vicinity Marker Control Settings in the Maps|Settings section which is turned on and setup to display all markers in the near vicinity with lines and spiraling out from the centre as the map has multiple markers at the same location and without it working they all sit on top of each other. This all worked pre the start of the GDPR updates and I need it working again as soon as possible as it is also affecting the live site.

With regard to the GDPR box, I should have been clear that I was talking about the back end not the Front End where it clearly needs to reset itself.

After clicking Add Marker – there now seem to be two messages appearing about your marker is awaiting approval – one as text and one in a box – I had setup the page to redirect to a thank you page which I still want to do.

I really like the functionality of WP Google Maps but we really need a proper change log that tells us all the differences – particularly when functionality is removed that was working fine i.e. short codes.

Hope you can help sort this out ASAP.

Chris

Hi there,

My apologies for the delay in response and the misunderstanding on my side.

Would you perhaps be open to creating a temporary account for me so that I can assist you further with this and find a solution ASAP?

Kind regards,
    Dylan

poolec
    This reply has been marked as private.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. Would you perhaps be open to granting me temporary FTP access to solve this issue more effectively and debug this issue?

Thanks.

Kind regards,
    Dylan

poolec
    This reply has been marked as private.

Hi Chris,

Thanks. Could I kindly ask you to clear your cache and confirm if it is working correctly on your side?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
    Dylan

poolec

Hi Dylan,

I’ve cleared the browser caches and tested and found the ‘Near Vicinity’ function is NOT working.

Go to the map page http://dev07.pinneypoole.net/bmctracker
    Enter W4 1BZ in the search option
    This will return 4 markers in the list, but when you zoom into the markers there is only one shown rather than all 4 with lines going back to the first marker.

I’ve tried this with Chrome, Opera & Firefox on desktop Windows 10 pc’s and also on an Android phone & tablet.

Are you able to see the near vicinity lines and markers if you do the test I outline above?

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. I have assigned this ticket to one of the lead developers who will create a patch to fix this permanently as soon as possible.

Thanks for your time and understanding in this. It is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Dylan

Dylan

Hi Chris,

Dylan Auty here from the development team.

We have made some changes to the core code, and I believe this is now resolved.

Could I ask you to take a look and confirm?

poolec

Hi Dylan,

Thanks the near vicinity lines are now showing which is good.

However, there are still a few issues with the very random way it displays a couple of things:

1) If with my data, you search for W4 1BZ you will get 4 results, click on the top entry and it will zoom in and show the item with the near vicinity lines and markers. Now click on the second one down in the list, and the map zooms out when it should stay zoomed in and displaying the second marker info window. If you go onto click on the other entries you will get what appears to be random zoom in’s and zoom outs. This used to work so that whenever you clicked on an entry in the marker list it zoomed in to show you the marker with the info window and the near vicinity lines and if you then clicked one of the other markers either in the list or on the map it stayed at the same zoom and displayed the relevant info window.

2) If there is only one marker, it is being placed at the end of a line even though it doesn’t need a line as there is only one marker, however as soon as you get more than one marker (I think) it then moves to the correct place.

3) The near vicinity lines aren’t very neatly drawn and sometime display differently, it would be good to make them spiral out more neatly and not so far from the first marker – maybe the line length needs to be a variable so that people can set it to how they want things to look?

4) If you click on the center marker of the group the near vicinity lines disappear – this shouldn’t happen.

Hope this helps and is clear enough to understand?

All the best,

Chris

Dylan

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for your time on this one.

Please find my responses below:
    1. I have made some alterations which more closely match the zoom level for the marker listing.
    2. I test multiple single markers and could not reproduce this issue, could I ask you to please advise?
    3. Please note, the length of the lines are calculated based on your radius settings within the neat vicinity markers options.
    4. I have disabled this within the core code for you.

I hope this helps?

poolec

Hi Dylan,

Some is working, but not all.
    1) The zoom level works, but try searching for W4 1BZ and then click on the entries one at a time from top to bottom of the marker list. The first works fine as does the second, but the third and fourth move the focus of the map to the wrong positions in Chrome, Internet Explorer & Edge. On Firefox it works correctly the first time you select any of the items from the marker list, but the second time yo select the 3rd or 4th item in the list it shows the wrong location on the map.
    2) This is linked to the near vicinity radius – if another marker with a different address is found then the line is drawn. Try using my data, set the radius to 50m and enter W4 1BZ in the search and you will see the 4 markers on the map, but also a 5th one up and to the left which has a line and just one marker at the end of it.
    3) Yes, but it doesn’t really work very well, for example if you set near vicinity to 10m then the first and second icons are sat on top of each other – I think the way the lines are displayed needs to be looked at as in reality it doesn’t come out looking like it does in the advertising example.
    4) Agreed this is now working correctly – thanks.

Thanks for continuing to try and solve this, hopefully with this feedback you will be able to sort out the final issues 🙂

Thanks,
    Chris

Dylan

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your feedback on this one.

Please find my responses below:
    1. I see what you mean in terms of user experience. It appears this is due to the fact that I have disabled the web close functionality, where the web is closed once again when the parent marker is clicked. I would like to add an additional trigger which will close the web, recenter the marker, and then open the web accordingly. Are you open to this?
    2. The reason the web is constructed and then continues into a secondary loop. This occurs so that markers are not densely compressed where high density markers are present. We will address this in future, as we are in the process of redeveloping this system.
    3. As mentioned, we are in the process of altering this system, and we do intend on altering the way markers are displaced. With that said, this is due to the way the world map is constructed. We offset it within an ellipse relative to the map.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.