Limiting categories on every update

New home Forums Pro Add-on Installing and Updating Limiting categories on every update

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    elij

Hi, I have a client using this with sometimes several hundred categories. I manually update the limit of varchar 500 to 1000 or 1500 to meet their needs, and this has been annoying me since using the plugin that it keeps getting reset every few updates. Please increase the limitation from 500 to at least 1000. Thanks, this is for Table: wpyt_wpgmza > category

Perry

Hi there

Thank you for getting in touch and thank you for your suggestion.

That sounds quite reasonable, however the figures do look quite high,

Our category table supports 50 characters in the name – did you perhaps 100 or 150 characters, or do you actually need thousands?

If you could please confirm then we’d welcome that change in the next release.

Kind regards
    – Perry

elij

Hi, Perry, I’m not talking about the actual text, but rather I’m referencing the actual database structure, which captures the foreign keys (the ID number) of the WP maps category.

Example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qs5w4kp474vcdg/Screenshot%202020-04-13%2012.21.40.png?dl=0

Right now it is limited to Varchar 500. We keep having to double or triple it using PHPMyAdmin within wp_wpgmza > category.

Perry

Hi Elij

I see, thank you, that is actually a legacy field which has been replaced with the many-to-many table wpgmza_markers_has_categories,

Can you let me know exactly what makes this necessary, if there is any redundant code still using that field then we need to remove that. Could you please describe exactly what issue increasing that field size solves?

As a short term solution we can definitely make that larger, ideally we’d need to get the root cause if you’re willing to share your findings with us.

Kind regards
    – Perry

elij

Thanks for noting that Perry and the legacy field as you describe seems to still be in use with us as we’ve avoided updating to the latest Pro version (we are on 7.10.61) but it seems upon upgrading the regular plugin (not pro) it resets to varchar 500.

So why is the legacy codebase still affecting our admin experience? How can we fix this without losing our data?

Perry

Hi Elij

The core plugin handles installing and updating that table, so that would explain why this keeps being reset when you update WP Google Maps, regardless of what version of Pro you are running.

You shouldn’t lose any category data as Pro 7 and above uses the wpgmza_markers_has_categories table. Even if the legacy “category” field is truncated, marker categorisation should work without any issue.

If you are finding that is not the case, please can you tell us how the issue manifests itself? What symptoms are you seeing?

Kind regards
    – Perry

elij

Hi Perry, thanks for the explanation, but what you’re describing I’ve just tested and found it to not be true. I’ve created a test map pin and selected every single category. Then, I clicked edit and noticed only 146 categories were still selected of the 331 categories. This is exactly in line with the varchar 500 limitation and goes against what you just mentioned that the legacy category is not in use–it clearly is on at least the admin side. Can you confirm a fix for this?

elij

Another follow up to this–when we go over the 500 character limit with over 130 or so categories, there is a timeout when saving… https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pcgnquy5czlxyk/Screenshot%202020-04-15%2005.12.13.png?dl=0

We’ve had two full years of issues with this plugin about this with no resolution.

Perry

Hi there

I’m really sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing issues here, and that this has been going on for so long, if you want an immediate resolution we can either adjust the length of that field at our end or give you a small plugin to alter that.

If you’re interested in exploring a true solution, it sounds like either you are running a very outdated version of Pro, or this field is being used somewhere on your particular setup for some other reason. If you would like us to implement a true solution, please can I ask you to open a ticket at http://wpgmaps.com/contact-us and indicate in the message body that it is FAO Perry, from there I will fully solve the issue as soon as we receive the credentials.

Does that help?

Kind regards
    – Perry

elij

Thanks, Perry, I did try updating on a staging site and it completely stopped showing the majority of all pins by specific categories.More info in the ticket I just submitted. We do have hourly backups in case something goes wrong too, and note that we have active updates being made to the database by users.

Perry

Hi Eli

Thank you very much for that, you will receive a response shortly.

Kind regards
    – Perry

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.