How do I use the "custom fields" in pro version?

New home Forums Pro Add-on General queries How do I use the "custom fields" in pro version?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kimberley

I have downloaded WP Google Maps Pro (version 7.11.10) so I can create custom fields to add to my Visitor Generated Markers (VGM).

There are no instructions on how to use this feature and I am not able to find anything up-to-date in your documentation.

I am trying to add a checkbox, but it’s not clear where I should add the options for this.

The formatting is also distorted, so I am unsure which field aligns with each heading.

Can you please help ASAP? I have been waiting 2 days to hear back from a support ticket on this matter.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Perry

Hi Kimberly

Thank you for getting in touch.

We will be adding documentation on this feature later in the day.

To add a checkbox, please go to Maps -> Custom Fields.

Please then define a name for your custom fields. Set the “widget type” to “text”. Then in “attributes” please add an attribute named “type” with value “checkbox”. These attributes are added to the input, if you’re familiar with HTML input elements and their attributes, that is what this field does.

We visited the “accommodation” page on your site to get a look at the alignment problem, however all the custom fields you’ve defined there line up at our end. Can you please show a screenshot of this problem?

I’m very sorry you haven’t had a reply sooner – we endeavour to respond to any and all support requests within 2 hours, and have staff in both GMT and CT time zones. I’m not sure how your messages managed to slip through but we will take a look into this shortly, please accept our apologies for the delay in responding.

If you could please let us know on the above, on your ticket or here on the forum, that would be great,

Kind regards
    – Perry

kimberley

Hi Perry,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have gotten the checkbox work, but I can’t add more than one option. Please see attached for what I am trying to achieve (in the VGM).

Is this possible?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Perry

Hi Kimberley

You can add as many fields as you need, there is no limit. If you’re having issues can you please contact us via e-mail and provide login information so we can attempt to create a field and see if there are any technical issues there?

We visited your sites accommodation page today and are also seeing issues here – it appears the site is not secure (http://) but is requesting data over a secure (https://) URL. We’re seeing the following:

Access to XMLHttpRequest at ‘https://[redacted]/wp-json/wpgmza/v1/markers/?fields%5B%5D=id&filter=%7B%22map_id%22%3A%221%22%2C%22mashupIDs%22%3A%5B%5D%2C%22categories%22%3A%5B%221%22%2C%226%22%2C%227%22%2C%228%22%5D%2C%22customFields%22%3A%5B%5D%7D’ from origin ‘http://[redacted]’ has been blocked by CORS policy: Request header field x-wp-nonce is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Headers in preflight response.

When we visit the secure version of the site, this error is not present. We suggest you use a 3rd party plugin to redirect your users to the secure pages when they attempt to access the site over an unsecure URL.

I hope that helps?

Kind regards
    – Perry

kimberley
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Perry

Hi Kimberley

Thank you for that, I can confirm we have access.

It appears I misunderstood your issue – sorry, I added a test field on Custom Fields which I’ve now deleted.

It’s not possible to achieve what you’re showing in your attachment with checkboxes. Checkboxes are either on, or off, for each field. There is no way to group checkboxes like this. I suggest either using a dropdown, which would allow your users to pick one of three options, or alternatively, have a drop down for on-leash / off-leash, and a separate checkbox for “Permit required”.

Does that help?

Kind regards
    – Perry

kimberley

Hi Perry.

That’s disappointing, but I will just have to make do.

Is it possible for your team to set up an example for me to see?

Perry

Hi Kimberley

I’m very sorry about that, we will be adding support for multiple values per custom field to accommodate setups like this in the future.

At a second glance, I see you have set up those three checkboxes already. If you just want a heading above them, you can do that using jQuery and CSS. I’ve added code to Maps -> Settings -> Advanced in Custom CSS and Custom JS to add a “Dogs are allowed…” heading above those three checkboxes.

I hope that helps?

Kind regards
    – Perry

kimberley

Hi Perry,

Glad to hear you’ll be including that function in the future. It’s very important from a usability perspective.

With regards to the set up, I was hoping you could set up a dropdown for me to see specifically. Is this possible?

kimberley
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Perry

Hi Kimberley

I logged in to your site to set this example up this morning.

I notice that some of your custom fields have invalid attributes. It looks like you are trying to add options in the attributes fields. The attributes column is strictly for HTML attributes. “type”, “checkbox”, “value” and “placeholder” are all valid. “No” is not a valid value for “type”, “???” is not a valid attribute name, and in field ID 31 it looks like you have tried to add dropdown values in the HTML attributes field. I’d recommend removing these as they could lead to unexpected behaviour.

Please see the “Custom Fields Example” page we’ve created at your end.

We have created two example fields in Maps -> Custom Fields, named Animals and Fruit, these have widget types of Dropdown and Checkboxes respectively.

We have created an example map (ID 3) and enabled filtering on both these fields.

We then created a variety of example markers. The orange markers have different values set in for “Animals”, on some markers we entered “Lions”, on others we entered “Tigers”, and on others “Bears”.

The markers with the red pin icons have a mixture of “Apples”, “Oranges” and “Pears” entered into the “Fruit” field.

If you navigate to the Custom Fields Example page, you’ll see that both the dropdown and checkbox controls there aggregate all possible values for their respective fields from the markers.

That is to say, the Animals dropdown detects all possible values for Animals on your markers (Lions, tigers and bears), and allows your user to choose *one* value to filter on. Selecting Lions, for instance, will present you with all markers that have “Lions” in their “Animal” field.

The checkboxes filter aggregates all values in the same manner, but allows the user to pick multiple values on the filter. You’ll see in this filter that you can choose to view only markers that have “Oranges” and the fruit. You can also choose to view markers that have “Apples” or “Pears” in their “Fruit” field by checking both those boxes.

I hope these examples are helpful, please let us know if that clarifies this feature for you?

Kind regards
    – Perry

kimberley

Hi Perry,

Thank you for your help. This does clarify the feature.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I had though the data entry would involve a check box, e.g. Does this place have lions? [] YES [] NO that would then filter into the dropdown.

This way, when I use VGM, people have the freedom to enter any value they like, which could mean that my list of filters grows to an un-usable number.

I will make do with the feature as it stands.

Thank you again.

kimberley

And how do I add multiple values for a field? E.g I want one map marker to have two different fruits and be filterable by both. Would I use a , or a ; to distinguish the tags?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.