Hide marker data in source code

New home Forums Pro Add-on General queries Hide marker data in source code

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi,

in the source code i can view the complete marker data in the javascript variable wpgmaps_localize_marker_data.
    Is it possible to hide the data until a location search is performed and only show the locations of that search result in wpgmaps_localize_marker_data?

Kind regards,
    Marc

Perry

Hi Marc

Thanks for getting in touch!

There is no built in way to achieve this.

If you wanted that behaviour, you would have to come up with a custom implementation of the search feature, send the search terms to the server and return the results over AJAX, repopulate the wpgmaps_localize_marker_data array and call InitMap afterwards.

Sorry we can’t be more forthcoming on this, the plugin wasn’t designed with this in mind.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Kind regards
    – Perry

Perry

Hi Fred

Thanks for getting in touch.

You need to go to your Google API dashboard here:

https://console.developers.google.com/apis/dashboard

Please format your HTTP referrer like so:

*lifestyleyyc.com/*

This will fix the problem.

Kind regards
    – Perry

Perry

Hi Fred,

I’m glad to hear that!

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Kind regards
    – Perry

glyn.jones

Hi,

I have recently found this out, and as a result our competitors have stolen our data because it was all there for them to take, with ease.

Recommend a solution to mask or hide the CDATA displaying ALL data, even if set to “display on search”, to avoid ALL data being easily available.

I’m looking into my options to remove.

Thanks,

MC

Perry

Hi Glyn

I’m terribly sorry to hear this, I sympathise with your position.

We appreciate your recommendation however it’s unlikely we’ll implement this – ultimately it doesn’t matter what obstacles you put in place, anyone determined enough will be able to scrape your data if they really want to. The same goes for e-mail addresses, images and plain text. Even if you encode or cipher it, it would have to be deciphered to be passed to Google maps, an attacker with pretty rudimentary knowledge of Javascript can easily pull the cipher apart or just intercept the data after the point it’s deciphered.

Even if we hid the data, an attacker could eventually get it marker by marker through panning around the map or using various search strings until they’re all loaded, then read the data from memory.

The best way to mitigate this is to protect your page, for example with a paywall, but ultimately even that won’t stop a nefarious user from paying and scraping the data if they really want to.

Once again, I’m sorry for your frustrations, however please appreciate this matter is beyond our control.

Kind regards
    – Perry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.