Heatmaps: add weighting for coordinates?

New home Forums Pro Add-on Heatmaps: add weighting for coordinates?

Tagged: 

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Perry.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    [email protected]
    Participant

Many datasets I’ve found online, suitable for heatmaps, include a “weighting” property, together with the Lat and Lng.

In WP Google Maps terms, I’d like to be able to use that property, if available, to count for “n” markers in the heatmap, where “n” is the weighting for each coordinate.

Is that possible?

Perry

Hi Adam

Thank you for getting in touch.

Our plugin doesn’t support weighted heatmaps presently as it’s not something that the Google engine supports, at least, not on a per-point basis like it sounds you are describing.

OpenLayers may offer some possibilities however we don’t support shapes or heatmaps through OpenLayers right now. If you’d like to reach out to us after pur 8.1 release we may be able to help you with this once that version goes live.

Is there anything else we can help you with?

Kind regards
    – Perry

[email protected]
    Participant

Actually, Google’s JS API docs are where I got the idea from!
    https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/heatmaplayer#add_weighted_data_points

… or have I misunderstood something?

Perry

Hi Adam

This article refers to weighting in terms of intensity rather than radius, if that’s what you’re looking for then we can help you with that.

The best approach would be to use markers with a custom field to store the weight, then we can provide JavaScript to dynamically create a heatmap from that.

The only caveat would be that this will prevent you from using markers normally on the map.

Would that work for you?

Kind regards
    – Perry

[email protected]
    Participant

Hi Perry,

We’ve been reviewing our data, and I think the existing heatmaps implementation will work for what we need right now.

However, I think in the future we will want to apply a weighting that is reflected in the intensity, as you say. Not quite sure what you mean by the contrasting “weighting=>radius” concept.

Here’s the use case I think we will want to implement…

– In a given geographical region, we have many data points, each of which represents a news incident that we are tracking.
    – In each case, we want to apply a severity rating to the incident, which is an integer >0.
    – So if a data point has a severity of 10, it should appear with a heatmap intensity equivalent to a non-weighted heatmap that has 10 markers in the same location/vicinity.

Let me know if you think it’s a match for what you’re proposing?

Perry

Hi Adam

That makes sense, thank you.

At present we dont support weighted heatmaps, you would need to use the drawing tools to add 10x markers in close proximity.

We will add this to our feature request list for 8

Is there anything else we can help you with?

Kind regards
    – Perry

[email protected]
    Participant

Nothing else right now, thanks.

Please let me know when the enhancement is available?

Perry

Hi Adam

You can sign up to our mailing list at https://www.wpgmaps.com/forums/ in the right column, we’ll put an announcement out when the release goes live!

If you have a moment and would be kind enough to complete a quick, 2 minute survey on our plugin, we would be extremely grateful for your time :- https://forms.gle/UegSoFnnEZKFLzwH9

If you need anything else, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards
    – Perry

[email protected]
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Perry

Hi Adam

Thank you so much!

If there’s anything else we can help you with, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Kind regards
    – Perry

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.