Geocoding Issues

New home Forums Pro Add-on Geocoding Issues

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    knepper3

I am adding points to my map and many are ok but often I get points where it is hard to get it to accept an address. I often find it is a zip code that whatever API is looking at a city state and zip but that zip code may have multiple cities. Like Pittsburgh in 15229, it is technically Pittsburgh but I wanted to local city name. Then I have something like 1 Archies Way McKeesport, PA 15133 which the API can not find any yet it exists and any other mapping service can find it. Is there any way to override the address? I dont mind if I have to manually move/place a point but I want the address to be saved even if the API thinks it doesnt exist.

Perry

Hi there

Thank you for getting in touch, sorry to hear you are experiencing issues.

Can you please confirm whether you are using Google Maps or OpenLayers?

Kind regards
    – Perry

knepper3

OpenLayers

Perry

Hi there

Thank you for that.

The OpenLayers engine, when used with our plugin, uses the Nominatim geocoding service. Please see here https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/

We have no control at all over what results the geocoder gives. Our plugin simply takes the address you’ve entered, hands it to a 3rd party geocoding service (either Nominatim or Google) and then receives coordinate data back from the service. We don’t influence, manipulate or otherwise process the data you input or the data our plugin receives back.

If Nominatim cannot accurately find the address you’ve entered, you’d need to either manually position the marker, or take that up with Nominatim.

Alternatively, you could switch to Google, their geocoding service is much more comprehensive.

Does that help?

Kind regards
    – Perry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.