Failed to Geocode on web & file import.

New home Forums Gold Add-on Troubleshooting Failed to Geocode on web & file import.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    John English

I am trying to upload markers for a map using a web import of JSON information from here.

When I do the import I receive a “Failed to Geocode” error. I have tried a number of things to troubleshoot, but none have fixed the issue.

• Tried multiple different forms of formatting the street address/state/zip etc.
    • Tried exporting example markers I geocoded individually on the map, when importing the file without changes it worked, but when importing without the Latitude/Longitude there are errors.
    • When inputting markers by hand the geocoding works if starting with an address
    • Double checked our API Key
    • Double checked the JSON

The exact error is “Failed to Geocode 1210 Hancock Road, Williamstown, Massachusetts, 01267, USA”

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Steven

Hi there,

Thank you so much for getting in touch, we really appreciate your time.

Could I kindly ask you to possibly confirm the exact current versions of WP Google Maps and WP Google Maps Pro currently installed on your site?

Additionally, could I kindly ask if you might try removing “1210 Hancock Road, Williamstown, Massachusetts, 01267, USA” from the file and confirming if it still fails?

I look forward to hearing back from you and getting this issue resolved.

Kindest Regards,
    Steven De Beer

John English

WP Google Maps v. 8.0.27
    WP Google maps Pro v. 7.11.69

I wasn’t clear, I could take out that one entry, but the problem occurs with every address that I try to Geocode.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Steven

Hi John,

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Could I kindly ask you to provide us with this JSON file in order to test the import at our end? If this works at our end, we may need to take a closer look at your site and API setup, as some sites require IP restrictions instead of referrer restrictions.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kindest Regards,
    Steven De Beer

John English

I have attached two files, ‘InternshipData.JSON’ is the data set that I am trying to import, while the other is the exported data from an test map that I removed the Latitude/Longitude from to test the import.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Steven

Hi John,

I have taken a closer look at these files and did manage to import without any errors or issues which leads me to believe that this might just be the API key that is restricting the Geolocation.

Could I kindly ask if you would be open to providing temporary admin access for us to log in with and take a closer look?

You are welcome to provide it in a private response or I can provide you with an email address.

Kindest Regards,
    Steven De Beer

John English
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Steven
    John English
    Steven
    John English

I had the API restricted incorrectly, after I changed that it works for the files now.

However if I try to import with a URL it tells me “Unable to import file” where previously it would fail on the geocoding. Was something changed in the last update?

Steven

Hi John,

Thank you so much for getting back to us.

It might still be a Geocoding issue as some websites require there to be an IP restricted key in place and not a referrer’s key.

You could perhaps attempt creating an IP Restricted key and instead use this API key to complete the import and then simply switch back your referrer key.

If you are open to inviting me to your API project, I would be happy to help set this up in order to do a test import?

Kindest Regards,
    Steven De Beer

Steven

Hi John,

I spent a bit more time looking at this and managed to find exactly what was causing this issue.

Could I kindly ask you to try and test the JSON import with geocoding enabled once more?

I look forward to hearing back from you,

Kindest Regards,
    Steven De Beer

John English

Hello Steven,

It still gives me a “Unable to import file” error when I try to import from the URL. However a file is still imported correctly.

Steven

Hi John,

Did you perhaps use a different JSON file from before? I tested with the one you provided and did get the “Import Complete” message without any error messages.

None the less, we will be making adjustments to the importer in the next major version patch which should also help when this sort of issue is run in to.

Kindest Regards,
    Steven De Beer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.