Costs

New home Forums Billing Costs

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  paulgm 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

paulgm

Hi

I have been using this plugin for a few years now and it works really well and I’ve been very happy.

However as Google is now charging for API’s, I’m reviewing my options, as my sites are not-for-profit, so don’t generate an income.

I noticed there is a new version, and it offers a cloud licence, for so many map downloads per month; but it does not say if this is a one-off cost or a monthly subscription. the google option depends on amount of map downloads, which to be honest wouldn’t be a problem, as my site does not download loads, but I just don’t like leaving my card details with google, especially as google play has just been found to contain dozens or trojans. on news at moment. and google browsers is riddled, with bugs, that try to steal your browser entry, so stopped using it.

Also lots of people are not getting receipts, when they make a payment with yourselves, which of course I would need for credit card records for organisation.

I have the free google maps, plus I paid for the professional add on, a couple of times, so have two versions. the latest version, has no new features I want, or need; my understanding, was at time, you wouldn’t need to keep buying it every few years, or am I wrong?

Thanks
    Paul B

Nick Duncan
    Keymaster

Hi there Paul
    Thank you for getting in touch.

The cloud API key we offer (https://www.wpgmaps.com/get-a-google-maps-api-key/) is a monthly fee and does include the Pro licence with us. Essentially, you use our API key which we manage and pay us for it, and we pay Google. This is a very new product from us and the more users we get on board, the cheaper our licence may become (we may go the Premium API key route which comes with significant discount which can then be passed down to our users).

To answer your other question, the Pro add-on needs to be repurchased along with every Major update (version7, version8, etc). Each major version will still be supported for two years but in order to get the next major version a repurchase needs to happen (at a 50% discounted rate).

Kind regards
    Nick

paulgm

hi

thanks or your prompt reply. So something that looked affordable is now being sold for vast amounts per year.

If I did register with Google for an API, the costs would be free for 10,000 map visitors (after $200 credit per month they give you), but you are charging $168 month? Why is that the case? Also the charges per 1,000 once you go over limit are no where near the vast amounts you are charging.

I am not keen to sign with google, as I don’t trust them with my card details, but why would I pay $168 a month, for something that is free with google for 10,000 map visits.

my average is about 3,000 map visits, which again is free with google api, but would cost about $53 a month with yourself.

when we all purchased your map plugin and integrated this into our websites, we had no idea, you would start pricing like this. I appreciate google is now charging, but instead of helping you customers, you are cashing in on it. only a small percentage, less than 10% actually would ever need to pay under current google pricing, but your way, charges everyone. where is the customer service, providing customers with fair information.

Are there not alternatives to using google api, yes there are. and is google not the cheapest option compared to your option? your own option also comes with no info, and jumps straight to payment, with lots of people complaining the don’t get an invoice.
    If it’s a monthly fee, where is the jargon about this and the legal info, that comes with a regular payment.

sorry I don’t think your offering a fair service now and I will look for alternatives, which is. shame as it did work well. and I’m not sure, the way you are taking payments meets uk law and I will check this out.

regards

Paul

Nick Duncan
    Keymaster

Hi there Paul
    We include the Places API, Directions API, geolocation API and others – all of which have a cost involved in it.
    Realistically, you will not just have to pay for “Map Views”. When adding markers, or users using your directions, you would have to pay for that as well.

Like every business, we have aggregated our costs and put a mark up on it. Our $200 free is spread over many users and we do not get $200 worth of free usage per API key. That is only per Billing Account. We have one billing account.

The monthly option also comes with the Pro version 10 site licence which costs $99, of which you would need to repurchase with every major update.

This monthly option is only for those that are not willing to add their payment details in the Google Console and are not willing to go through the rigmarole of creating an API key and managing it with Google. We do this for you and we take on the risk of excess expenditure through people using our API keys.

Please keep in mind that you are still able to go get an API key directly from Google and just purchase our Pro version ($39.99 once off).

If you are looking for an API key without the cost, please choose Open Layers (we built functionality to support Open Layers in our plugin). Although it doesnt support major features like directions, we are working on including that in the near future.

Kind regards
    Nick

Nick Duncan
    Keymaster

Hi Paul
    I’m going to get in touch with you directly. We may be able to work out a better price for you.

Kind regards
    Nick

paulgm

Thanks Nick, your advice, which has followed, has found a positive way forward, which is both affordable and retains the overall quality of ‘the mapping experience’.

This is far better, I feel than paying ‘Google’ direct for an API, especially, as we don’t use any of the advanced features. If we did use the advanced features such as directions, and fell within this group of users, then your own ‘cloud licence’ would have been safer than google direct and was a fixed price, especially in the current climate, where some websites can experience a ‘denial of service attack’ if not properly protected.

As we used only basic functions and maps, we fall within a more limited group of users, and i’m pleased you have options for us also.

Thanks again

Paul

Nick Duncan
    Keymaster

Thank you Paul!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.