Combining markers from different maps

New home Forums Visitor Generated Markers General queries Combining markers from different maps

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Pete-G 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Pete-G

I’m building out a site right now where I’ll have multiple VGM maps. I’ll have maps representing a global view of the data, maps representing only tier two data and then a detailed map representing detailed tier 3 data. I’d like to be able to share map markers between the three maps… is that possible?

Example: Global view – Boat launches in Wisconsin Tier 2 maps : map1) River boat launches map2) lake boat launches Tier 3 maps: 1) Chicago river access points 2)Menominee river access points, ect.

My categories are “boat launches”, “”river launches”, “lake launches”, “river name”

I’d like my global map to display all points under the boat launch category
    I’d like the river boat launch map to display all markers under the river launch category
    I’d like the map of an actual river to only display the markers under that river’s name category

I’d like any VGM markers placed on a specific river map to also pull forward to the other maps and vice versa. Can this be done?

Perry

Hi Pete

Thank you for getting in touch and thank you for your interest in our plugin.

“I’m building out a site right now where I’ll have multiple VGM maps. I’ll have maps representing a global view of the data, maps representing only tier two data and then a detailed map representing detailed tier 3 data. I’d like to be able to share map markers between the three maps… is that possible?”

Yes, this is possible using the mashup feature, you can read more about that here

How Do I Merge Multiple Maps into One?

“I’d like any VGM markers placed on a specific river map to also pull forward to the other maps and vice versa.”

I follow you up until vice versa, sorry – you would like a map of exclusively VGM markers which you would like displayed on the other maps, I understand, are you saying you want the other maps displayed on your VGM map too?

If I understand that correctly, then yes, you can also achieve that with mashups.

Kind regards
    – Perry

Pete-G

Perry,

Thank you for your response. I didn’t get a notification that you had responded, so sorry for the delay in my response.

So it appears that mashups allows you to combine data from different maps, but how can I use it to pull only select data from a global map to a sub-map and display only a specific category of data?

I’m thinking that the easiest thing to do would be to create only one global map that users could enter markers into and I’ll name that global map “wisconsin boat launches”

How do I pull information from that map into a second tier map called “wisconsin river boat launches” that shows just launch points that were entered into the global map under the “river access” category?

I’d also like to have 3rd tier maps for each individual river in wisconsin so I’d like to pull VGMs that were entered into to global map under the “river access” category and the “river name” category that matches the specific individual map.

Is my thinking correct on this and if so how do I execute it? I’m new to this map system and I’m not super experienced with coding.

Thanks!

Pete

Perry

Hi Pete

You can use mashups to combine maps, you can’t use mashups to filter maps in the way you are describing. In other words, mashups are additive, not subtractive, if that makes sense?

If you’re looking to filter like that, you might try using categories for your markers, then combining that with the “cat” shortcode attribute, you can read about that here: https://www.wpgmaps.com/documentation/advanced-map-options/map-shortcode-parameters/

Custom fields work in a similar fashion but you have a bit more control

No coding would be required but you would need to plan out how best to organise your data to meet your needs. If you could tell us a bit more about what the site is supposed to achieve (in real world terms) then we may be able to give you more specific advise.

I hope that helps?

Kind regards
    – Perry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.