Bad UTF-8 error when converting line endings on row(s) 0

New home Forums Pro Add-on Troubleshooting Bad UTF-8 error when converting line endings on row(s) 0

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    poolec

Hi,

I’m trying to import marker data into a new installation of maps (Pro, Gold & VGM) and it appears to be happening, but right at the end of the import it brings up the following error “Bad UTF-8 error when converting line endings on row(s) 0”

What do I need to do to get the data into the map?

I’ve attached the file.

Thanks
    Chris

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matthew

Hi Chris,

Thank you for getting in touch with us, my apologies for the inconvenience you are experiencing.

Thank you for the attached file, as this has aided me in finding the cause of the issue.

I have viewed the file contents and it appears this error is caused due to the file containing special characters that are not accepted/used during the importing process.

Please could I kindly ask you to confirm what software was used to create/update the CSV file?

With that said, we recommend using Google Sheets if not used already, as this can help do away with any unnecessary complications.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind Regards,
    Matthew

poolec

Hi,

The file is as exported from WP Google Maps, I might have opened it in Excel to view the data but I didn’t change anything.

Chris

Matthew

Hi Chris,

Thank you for getting back to me.

It appears that it could be that older versions of WP Google Maps inserted special characters during its exporting process that are no longer supported.

Please could I kindly ask you to confirm the version numbers of WP Google Maps and the respective Add-ons you are currently using?

Kind Regards,
    Matthew

poolec

WP Google Maps – Version 8.0.26
    WP Google Maps – Gold Add-on Version 4.25
    WP Google Maps – Pro Add-on – Version 8.0.34
    WP Google Maps – Visitor Generated Markers – Version 3.21

None of the plugins show updates required.

Chris

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by poolec.
    Vanessa

Hi Chris,

Vanessa here, nice to meet you.

Could I kindly ask you to do the following:
    – Please reopen the file in Microsoft Excel
    – Resave the file using the “CSV UTF-8 (comma delimited) (*.csv)” format
    – Import the new file to Maps.

Please let me know if this works and I do apologise for the inconvenience.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards,
    Vanessa Rufo

poolec

Hi,

I tried this and although I now don’t get the UTF-8 error and it says the ‘Import completed.’, when I go to the map I said to import the data to, it says ‘No matching records found’ though it does also say ‘Showing 1 to 1 of 1 entries (filtered from 5,996 total entries)’ at the bottom of the Your Marker table. However, there are only 1499 records in the csv file.

I tired changing the map id from 4 (the id of the map where the data came from on our live system) to 7 the id of the empty map on our development system, in the CSV UTF-8 file, but that didn’t work either.

Any other ideas, I really do need a way to get this data between sites.

Thanks

Chris

PS I’m not getting notifications when you update these posts even though the Notify me option is ticked – I’ve checked my spam and it isn’t going there.

Vanessa

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for your time on this.

I was able to recreate the error on my side and resolved it as follows:
    – May you please upload the original excel file you sent onto Google Sheets.
    – May you please download it with comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet)
    – May you please import the newly saved sheet to your site under “Advanced Options”
    – During your import, may you please select “Apply import data to” and select a single map
    – Next, please select “Replace map data”
    – Click on import
    – In your WordPress dashboard, go into the page that contains the current map
    – Replace the map ID with the ID belonging to the map you applied the data to

I hope this helps? Please do let me know if further assistance is required.

Kind Regards,
    Vanessa Rufo

poolec

Hi Vanessa,

I followed your instructions but still no markers show up it just says ‘Showing 1 to 1 of 1 entries (filtered from 1,499 total entries)’ which seems to imply that the 1499 markers were imported, which they were as I checked in the database table.

What next?

Chris

Vanessa

Hi Chris,

Would it be possible to grant me temporary admin access to your site?

Previously you mentioned that the new site has the following versions of WP Google Maps:
    WP Google Maps – Version 8.0.26
    WP Google Maps – Gold Add-on Version 4.25
    WP Google Maps – Pro Add-on – Version 8.0.34
    WP Google Maps – Visitor Generated Markers – Version 3.21

May you please confirm what versions the old site was using?

I do sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.

Looking forward to resolving this for you.

Kind Regards,
    Vanessa Rufo

Vanessa

Hi Chris,

If you are comfortable with the previous message, please mark your next reply as “Private”

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards,
    Vanessa Rufo

poolec
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Matthew

Hi Chris,

Matthew here, I will be assisting you further.

Thank you for your continued time on this, your time is much appreciated!

Thank you for the details you have provided, we have run a few more tests on your site and debugged the issue further, however it seems that there is an issue on the background data request which we are finding difficulty in identifying without PHP error logs.

With that said, could I kindly ask you to please reach out to your host and ask for the latest PHP error logs, and send them to us via a Google Drive Link as a Private Reply.

Kind Regards,
    Matthew

poolec

Hi,

I contacted the hosting company and they said PHP error logs aren’t run as part of the package I have, but I could enable it by adding a php.ini file for the dev05 website. I’ve done that but currently don’t see a log file for it, but maybe that’s because there aren’t any errors yet?

Do you want to run things again and then let me know and I’ll check to see if the file has been produced?

This is getting to the absolute limit of my knowledge of how to do things so I’m not a 100% confident I have set things up right!

I’m still not getting mail alerts when you reply to these comments (they aren’t in spam and the tick box is ticked) so I don’t know when you have replied.

Kind regards,

Chris

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by poolec.
    Matthew

Hi Chris,

Thank you for getting back to me and your continued time on this, your time is much appreciated.

Okay not a problem, I have refreshed the map a few times to try reproduce any errors.

Please could I kindly ask you to check again on your side to see if there are errors now present in the respective file?

Kind Regards,
    Matthew

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.