Are the gpx/kml data stored by Google?

New home Forums Basic Version General queries Are the gpx/kml data stored by Google?

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Dylan.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    pierrot

Dear all,
    I am using WP Google maps for my hiking website to display hiking trails. Some of the hiking trails in KML are produced by the French Hiking Federation.
    They asked me whether Google was storing the information of these trails. In their terms https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/terms 4.4.1 it says so but I wanted to double check with you.
    Does anyone know?
    Thanks,
    Pierre-Antoine

Dylan

Hi there,

Thank you for getting in touch, we do appreciate your time.

When using the KML layer system, this data will be added to the map as a layer, these layers are drawn within the browser, using the JavaScript API which we make use of, provided by Google Maps.

With that said, to our knowledge these files are not stored by Google Maps, although some of the placement data is sent to them for processing, as this is required in order to accurately place the data within the KML file, for example.

Point 4.4.1 refers to the end-users location and IP address being sent through to the Google Maps API. This data may be stored to improve functionality within Google Maps.

I hope this helps?

pierrot

Thanks Dylan for your answer, this helps a lot!

Dylan

Hi there,

Only a pleasure, happy to help wherever possible! 🙂

Have a nice day further.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.