In this documentation, we are going to be showing you how to translate the plugin to another language.
Before we begin, there are two things you will require in order to modify the plugins strings on your site –
- You will need the .PO file from WP Google Maps Basic’s Language folder. Please note that if you are wanting to add a new language to the plugin, you will need to modify the English file (EN), however, if you are wanting to alter an existing file, you will have to know the language you are wishing to edit’s ISO code ie for German, you will need to edit the DE file in the Language folder, for French, you will ned to edit the FR .PO file etc.
- You will need to also have a call to the Google Maps API so that your map itself and the directions for your map are changed.
The .PO File
In order to edit the chosen .PO file, you will need to have a PO Editor. We suggest downloading and using POEdit.
Once you have downloaded the software:
- Go to where you have stored WP Google Maps on your computer’s directory and then to the Language folder.
- Select the .PO file you want to edit and then open it in POEdit.
- If you are adding to the .PO file, you will need to select which string you want to edit then add the text in the bottom field.
- Save the file after you have made the modifications and upload the plugin to your site.
The Google Maps API
To alter the Google Maps API, please consult this documentation on how to alter the language of WP Google Maps on your site – http://www.wpgmaps.com/documentation/changing-the-google-maps-language/
If you require any assistance with either editing the .PO file or the Google Maps API, please get in touch with us via our contact page and we will be happy to help you.
Was this article helpful to you?